Re: Lyrics / staffs/ contexts - which way is best for me

From: andrew Black
Subject: Re: Lyrics / staffs/ contexts - which way is best for me
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 07:38:27 +0100

Thanks Ruud for a useful template. And thanks Mats for giving me some insight into contexts. Taken together I am beginning to piece the concepts together,

Ruud van Silfhout wrote:

rightHandMusic = \relative c' { c d e f }
leftHandMusic = \relative c { e f g a }

\score {
 \context GrandStaff <<
   \context ChoirStaff <<
   \context Voice = sopranoVoice { \sopranoMusic }
> \context Lyrics = sopranoLyrics \lyricsto sopranoVoice
>                                          {\sopranoLyrics }
         ..... etc

I would like to check my understanding of how it is put together.
The score is made out of a GrandStaff, that is made out of ChoirStaff and PianoStaff. The ChoirStaff is made from sopranoVoice, then sopranoLyrics etc etc. There is a "link" indicating that the sop lyrics belong to the sop line using \lyricsto

Going back to the SATB example (2 stave)

        \context ChoirStaff <<
           \context Lyrics = sopranos { s1 }
           \context Staff = women <<
              \context Voice =
                sopranos { \voiceOne << \global \sopMusic >> }
              \context Voice =
                altos { \voiceTwo << \global \altoMusic >> }

           \context Lyrics = altos { s1 }
           etc
           \context Lyrics = sopranos \lyricsto sopranos \sopWords

This says you ahve some lyrics, a Staff (with 2 voices) some more Lyrics. Then you jump back into the "Lyrics = sopranos" and say what the words actually are, and that it links to the soprano.

One of the things that confused me about this is that "sopranos" is both a name of a Lyric context and a Voice context. Presumably each has its own name space.

Final questions - what is the s1 in "\context Lyrics = sopranos { s1 }".
My assumption is that is is "skip semibreve". Why do you need to tell the lyrics how long the notes are - doesn't it get the lengths from corresponding music?