Re: accent not working as expected/desired

From: Kenward Vaughan
Subject: Re: accent not working as expected/desired
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:19:46 -0700

(I tried emailing Mats directly, but his email address failed.)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:27:05PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> The positioning is different for different articulations, according
> to normal typesetting practice (that's the intention, at least).
> For example, \accent, \staccato and \tenuto go into the stave, whereas
> \turn and \portato stay outside the stave, just to mention a few.

I appreciate your comment about "normal typesetting practice," as I
certainly have little experience with scores of almost any sort (the
piece I am working on is my first regular one since I started playing).
I have been following only what is on the piece itself, which gives the
positioning I mentioned (below the stave).

Perhaps the fact that it is a very old first position piece for a
relative beginner (full of fingerings as well, which I tossed out :)
explains the more exposed positioning of that one articulation.  ???

> The easiest way to break this convention and typeset an \accent outside
> the stave is to use \markup, just as you tried. However, inside a
> \markup{...}, you can only use the commands listed in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Overview-of-text-markup-commands.html#Overview-of-text-markup-commands
> To access the accent symbol, you have to use the \musicglyph command:
> c2. _\markup{\musicglyph #"scripts-sforzato"}
>
> To avoid collisions between fingerings and slurs, change the padding
> property for the fingering, see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Common-tweaks.html#Common-tweaks
> for inspiration.
>
>    /Mats

Thank you very much for the links and suggestions you gave, Mats.  As
silly as it may sound, is there such a thing as a book or (prefereably)
Web-accessible document about these conventions or other standards?

Cheers,

Kenward

> Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I'm a 1 year cellist who decided to learn lilypond as the best way to
> >rewrite a piece I'm learning.  The original is too compact for my eyes
> >with the accent on the first.  The specific line I wrote in my file is
> >
> >c2.~_\accent c2.\bar "|."  % 79 and 80
> >
> >This is bass clef, as expected, and the above notes stand a line above
> >the normal staff.  The accent mark insists on moving into the staff
> >lines, so I assume that its position is tied to the note, with no
> >regard for the staff's position?
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,
because passing civilization along from one generation to the next
ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone
could have.     - Lee Iacocca