Native Windows Build 2.5.25

From: J L
Subject: Native Windows Build 2.5.25
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:04:44 +1200

Dear Jan,

Finally, there is a native port for Windows!

on my computer, the only font that it chosses for text is Verdana.
Other ones are available, but only Verdana is used
And yet, the docs (PDF user manual) shows other fonts (while there is no apparent special commands specified) I though I read that the fonts for Lily 2.5.x were Century Schoolbook or Book Antiqua?

is there an option to turn PDF point and click off? I makes the file size larger and I mostly don't need it

there's an empty file called midi.so in %install directory%\usr\lib\lilypond\2.5.25\python

is there a syntax change that now requires all contexts or staves to be explicitly declared?
        in 2.4.x you could do and get midi and all
                { c'4 d'4 e'4 }
        or
                <<
                        \context Voice = something { c'4 d'4 e'4 }
                        \context Lyrics = something { s1 }

                \context Lyrics = something \lyricsto something { foo bar foo }

        now you have to do to get sound or right staves
                \new Staff { c'4 d'4 e'4 }
        or
                \context Staff = "something" <<
                        \context Voice = somethingA { c'4 d'4 e'4 }
                \context Lyrics = somethingA { s1 }

foreign fonts or non standard english characters causes ghostscript to fail. - I don't have some fonts but some should work?

could there be some window that appears when processing starts, and disappears when processing finishes? currently, I am left guessing and looking at the folder to see if LilyPond is doing anything

maybe a DOS restriction, but filenames are clipped to 8 characters. Why can't original filename be used?

Welcome to LilyPond file -
        number 1, grammer: Safe instead of Save

Python -
I think that the Python scripts could be made to run, using a little bit of path work, and adding an option to the installer (?) so that if a user has Python, those scripts could be run. Adding Python to this distribution I think is not a good idea as there are quite a few modules, and many are interlinked. This would lead to a larger download size...

\minor keys no longer supported?
        LilyPond gives an error when it encounters something like
                \key b \minor
        but still allows
                \key d \major

the things that seem to define this (scale-definitions-init.ly) still seems to have minor defined

LilyPond tagline: spacing between the work "LilyPond" and the LilyPond version is a bit close
        an attempt to fix that... in "titling_init.ly"

        tagline = \markup {
                \with-url

                 %% todo: lilypond.org/music-engraving
                #"http://lilypond.org/web/";
                \line {
                        "Music engraving by LilyPond ("
                        #(ly:export (lilypond-version))
                        ") -"
                         "www.lilypond.org"

LilyPad, Made using some things similar to Windows Notepad.
Notepad cannot handle line breaks correctly. It only recognises Windows style (CrLf, 13+10). same here with LilyPad

gs.bat
It mentions a directory called: "C:\Program Files\LilyPond\user\share\gs\fonts\" which doesn't exist

Aligorith

Need more speed? Get Xtra Broadband @ http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,,202853-1000,00.html