Re: missing lilypond-tex-metrics.tex

From: Aaron Mehl
Subject: Re: missing lilypond-tex-metrics.tex
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

> I really don't think it makes a big difference.  If
> you want to
> submit a patch that changes all "should be"s to
> "must"s,
> I won't complain.

> That's what the tutorial is for.  I still don't
> understand what
> the difficulty is.
  I will explain. For programmers documentation
shouldn't repeat the same idea in more than one place
because it wastes time. But for end user
documentation, things need to be clear and it is
common practice to repeat or xref important
information.

Again when lilypond was small it was easier to find
the information in the documents but now I may search
google and come directly to the file structure page
and not know that this is covered also elsewhere.
Remember a lot of lilypond users are newbies..

> ...  so we should just change all "shoulds" to
> "must" on that
> doc page?  I really don't think that makes a big
> difference.  I only
> see two "should"s, anyway.

No I think once I understand the structure I will
submit a patch for this page.

> I'm not adverse to replacing that section of the
> docs.  A few
> people have asked for more formal definitions of
> lilypond input
> syntax.  If you wrote such a page, it could help
> some new users.

Again I am still not 100% clear on how this all works.
but I will gladly rewrite this page because I see it
will be helpful.

first I will try to make a map of what I think the
file  base file structure is and I will then see if
files I build from it parse.
Then I will refine it until it work.

so far myself am not clear enough on this to write it
for others.
But since I need this I am sure I will get it to work.

Thanks for your help
Aaron
> - Graham

Yahoo! Mail