Re: lay out

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: lay out
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:16:54 -0400

On Thursday 02 June 2005 05:56 pm, Erik Ronström wrote:
> | I see what you are saying but I still say a clearly defined
> | and enforced structure would make the entry into lilypond
> | much and mean much easier to the newbie.
>
> I agree completely! IMHO, this is the single most annoying thing about
> lilypond: the lack of a (obvious-to-the-user) uniform structure of the
> input files. Since lilypond is defined by a grammar, it must of course
> have a clearly defined structure, but where is it documented?
>
> | > Part of an answer to your question can be found in the
> | > sections "Changing context default settings"
> |
> | but this should be in file structure and in a section
> | called layout.
>
> Exactly! The template section is a good start, but the problem is that
> is doesn't explain *why* the different templates are written the way
> they are. There should definitely be a section explaining and giving
> examples of the different parts of a lilypond source file!

%{The best way to proceed IMO is to comment the templates much more
and then to grow the section from that.  Some of the examples in the
docs could use more commenting too, especially labeling to show what
in the text is referring to what in the example.%} daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.