Re: lay out

From: Aaron Mehl
Subject: Re: lay out
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:22:48 -0700 (PDT)

Ok I am now getting both unconfused and confused.

But both paper and layout deal with layout.

I see that structure  in lilypond is not a
documentation structure. ie a programmers structure.

If I were to build a document I would have formatting
for the page or the entire document and formatting for
the section.

My  confusion is that lilypond leave the creation of
sections etc to the user in a way.

The logic is not one of nesting I gather but how
things are processed, as in python where each part is
processed going down the page and inner brackets are
done in a certain order.

I could then have I gather

layout anywhere in a document.
I would hate to hazard a guess that paper could also
appear anywhere?

What happens is that the terms become unclear and the
usage blurry.

I would love to see lilypond seperate presentation
from content, the truth is with includes it is
possible now, I guess.

That said

\layout {}
\score {
\layout {}
\score{
\layout {}

would format each subscore.
Now for different movements of one piece would I use
multple \score blocks or are there real structural
block in lilypond?

Pesonally I find the structure and usage of \paper and
\layout a but confusing but now that I look at it from

a programmers perspective I at least understand the
logic.

however some rules such an not allowing \score
{\paper{}

\score {
\paper {}
}}

would help to unconfuse, unless it already works that
way.
I will experiment and get back to the list soon.

Aaron

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-04/msg00147.html