Some questions w.r.t. TeX backend and mftrace.

From: Robert Memering
Subject: Some questions w.r.t. TeX backend and mftrace.
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:39:21 +0200

Hello again,

I finally managed to get nice scores out of my shiny new
2.5.29 build. But I'm afraid that I'm still not really happy
with it. The new PS backend (i.e. getting away from TeX)
is of course a good idea, but its text output is not
usable for me at this moment (no kerning; many special
characters that I can't get nearly as straightforwardly as with the
TeX constructs [if I can get them at all], e.g. emdash or right single
quote/apostrophe; no adjustments by adding spaces; etc.).

So, there is no other possibility for me than using the TeX
part of lilypond again. And that's why I have two questions:

1) Can I use the TeX backend in 2.5.x? There is little
documentation and I am quite unsure. I tried the different
command-line options, but (as I expected) this didn't work.

2) Since I don't seem to be able to use TeX in 2.5.x, I decided
to give building 2.4.{4|5|6} a try. But this resulted in a
mftrace/Python error that I do not understand:

[...]
Assembling raw font to `feta11.PFA.raw'...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/mftrace", line 1400, in ?
    make_outputs (basename, formats, encoding)
  File "/usr/local/bin/mftrace", line 926, in make_outputs
    simplify_cmd ='''SelectAll ();
ValueError: unsupported format character '
' (0xa) at index 54
make[1]: *** [out/feta11.pfa] Error 1
[...]

Any help would be much appreciated,