Re: Extending beamed stems

From: Henrik Frisk
Subject: Re: Extending beamed stems
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:59:09 +0200

Daniel Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

> henrikfr wrote:
>
> >I posted a question a while ago but didn't get any feedback, probably
> >because nobody understood my question ;)... I'll give it another try:
> >
> >I want to extend a beamed stem so that it reaches beyond the beam, without
> >changeing the position or angle of the beam. I want to do it for cross staff
> >notes. I've figured out how to do it for unbeamed notes but can't seem to
> >get it to work for beamed notes.
> >
> >Thanx for any suggestions.
> >

> Do you have any scanned examples of what it is you're trying to do?
> Also, what version of Lilypond are you running, and on what platform?

I'm running lilypond 2.4.5 (fink installation) on OSX 10.3.9. Attached to this
mail is an example. Although this bar works OK the way it is, I would have
liked to beam it 1/4+1/8 rather than 1/8+1/8+1/8. Either by connecting the
lower beam of the first 1/8 note group to the stem of the second eighth note
(from a notation point of view this would be unorthodox since one of the note
heads would end up on the wrong side of the stem). The other way would be to
have the beam go below all notes on beat one and two (counting eihgth notes).

Here's the code for the bar:

  \time 3/8
  ges'''16~[ \revert Beam #'positions ges64 \change Staff=lower f,32. ] \change
Staff=upper \stemExtend \noFlag ges'8-> \noBeam
  \acciaccatura { g32^\pedalc } \change Staff = lower b,,,32 [ \change Staff =
upper f''~ f16~ ] |

And here are the \noFlag and \stemExtend:

noFlag = \once \override Stem #'flag-style = #'no-flag
stemExtend = \once \override Stem #'length = #32

...and attached is an image.

This is the first piece I do in LilyPond, so I'm not very experienced yet.
Tahnks for any help.

/henrik

PNG image