Re: Installing on Windows XP, anybody got a script for converting abc to

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Installing on Windows XP, anybody got a script for converting abc to lily?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:43:16 +0200

The LilyPond distribution does indeed contain a program called
abc2ly, see the section on "Converting from other formats in the
LilyPond manual.

However, if you use the new installation package for Windows, there
are some extra tricks needed to run the extra programs like convert-ly
and abc2ly, since they rely on the program Python that isn't included
in the installation (at least as far as I know) see the mailing list
archives for more information.

   /Mats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:
Richard-
If you know anything about abc files? It's a system mostly for trad (read folk) music usually single line though it is more flexible than that. Anyway the 'programing' is similar, rather simple and then you just need a program to translate it to notation.

Again similar to the convert.ly part of lily except lily doesn't read abc files. Tabledit does and it's something else that you could be familar with as it is both a notation/guitar program and does some of what lily does too.

What age/levels are you working with?
Jay

Richard Glascodine wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the quick response. Done what you said and it works! I like the example files! It really does look classy. I think I agree with you, re: the teaching. However it could be a link between programming and music - I dont know, as I know next to nothing about the former,

Anyways

Thankyou for your time

Rich.