Re:converting abc to lily?

From: Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Subject: Re:converting abc to lily?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:57:51 -0700

Mats- that's very interesting.
What I can't see/find in the archives, or maybe just don't understand is how to acquire
abc2ly or the midi2ly or python for that matter.
Also when the instruction say invoke-
I know where and how to do that in linux but am a bit uncertain as to how to go about that in XP- Does it mean that the program is already part of lily and that I need to run it from a command line?
Jay

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

The LilyPond distribution does indeed contain a program called
abc2ly, see the section on "Converting from other formats in the
LilyPond manual.

However, if you use the new installation package for Windows, there
are some extra tricks needed to run the extra programs like convert-ly
and abc2ly, since they rely on the program Python that isn't included
in the installation (at least as far as I know) see the mailing list
archives for more information.

   /Mats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

Richard-
If you know anything about abc files? It's a system mostly for trad (read folk) music usually single line though it is more flexible than that. Anyway the 'programing' is similar, rather simple and then you just need a program to translate it to notation.

Again similar to the convert.ly part of lily except lily doesn't read abc files. Tabledit does and it's something else that you could be familar with as it is both a notation/guitar program and does some of what lily does too.

--
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence