Re: Languages other than English on the mailing list

From: Graham Percival
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:35:36 -0700

On 26-Jun-05, at 2:59 PM, Oddmund Åvik wrote:

 I'd encourage any participant who has difficulty expressing
 themselves in English to use the major language they're most
 articulate in.  Most of us can probably follow well enough,
 especially with the help of the occasional kind respondent supplying
 a translation, and with the availability of machine translation
 sites on the web.

Absolutely.

Yes, and for those of us who understand French and German better than
English it is a great help sometimes to get it in an other language...

... especially since the website is now translated in French and Dutch.

I see no reason to actively discourage emails in other languages. It hasn't
been a problem so far -- if it becomes a problem, we can start asking
people to post in English.  But I think that everybody knows that
lilypond-user is primarily an English mailing list, so if somebody posts
in another language, it's almost certainly because they don't feel that
they can communicate in English.

Cheers,
- Graham