Re: adding staves to a piano part...

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: adding staves to a piano part...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:32:41 +0200

Sterling Sympatico wrote:
Hi,

Me again.

I am enjoying the learning curve here and your help is making it a lot
of fun.  I have finished a piano accompaniment for a vocal ensemble.  I
have set up the file as such:

\pianoRH

notes (some second voice added)

\pianoLH

notes (some second voice added)

piano = { \context PianoStaff << \set PianoStaff.instrument = #"Piano" \context Staff = upper \PianoRH \context Staff = lower \PianoLH >> } \score { \context PianoStaff = piano { << \piano >> } \layout { \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext } \context { \Score \override BarNumber #'padding = #3 \override RehearsalMark #'padding = #2 } } % \midi { % \tempo 4 = 75 % } }

First some personal comments on the above example. This kind of
hierarchical definitions of the contexts may look very convenient,
at least for smaller examples. However, my experience is that once
you have some more staves, it's actually easier to get an overview
of the score structure if you do all the context instantiations
within the \score{...}, such as:

\score{
\context PianoStaff = Piano <<

\set PianoStaff.instrument = #"Piano" \context Staff = upper \PianoRH \context Staff = lower \PianoLH >> \layout {

The output is brilliant.  Now I wish to add 7 staves (5 or 6 percussion
and 1 vocal).

Seems I am having troubles doing it as such:

drums = {
      \drummode notes
      }

drums2 = {
       \drummode notes
      }

etc.

and then adding the drums in the \score section with '\new DrumStaff'
commands. Am I going about this in a correct manor?

Since you don't tell how and where you add them in the \score{...}, we
can't really say if it's "correct" or not (also, there is no such thing
as a single "correct" way to do things).

Some hints:

- You cannot include drums within a PianoStaff
- The easiest way to insert a number of staves (or whatever) in a score is
\score{
  <<
    \new Staff {...}
    \new DrumStaff {...}
    \new Lyrics {...}

- However, you may want to use StaffGroup or GrandStaff to group the
  staves.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing