Using Version 2.6

From: Sacha Standen
Subject: Using Version 2.6
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:36:59 +0200

Hi

I'm using Windows ME and have had so many problems running version 2.5 and then got stuck when trying to reinstall 2.4. You guys didn't seem able to help, so I waited until v.2.6 was available, deleted all the old versions to start afresh, including Cygwin and the lot, downloaded 2.6 and still have the same problem as ever, i.e. when I double click on an .ly file it tells me I need bash.exe (which I apparently don't have any longer). Instead I tried dragging an .ly file onto the Lilypond desktop icon and it generated another PDF icon on the desktop; but when I try to open that it tells me (and this is a rough translation, as my system is in French):

"Acrobat can't open [filename], because the type of file isn't recognised or the file is damaged (it has been sent as an attachment and not decoded correctly, for example)."

What's going on? Should I also download Ghostscript, or is that only for Unix?

I can still view PDF output that I generated in the past on the old version.

I'm still tearing my hair out, itching to get to grips with this programme, but have little understanding of the technical aspects of computers and their jargon. I just want to print some beautiful music. Please help!

Sacha