Help with midis on an older version 2.0.1-1

From: Eric Schissel
Subject: Help with midis on an older version 2.0.1-1
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:09:49 -0400

I use a Macintosh G3 with OS 10.2.8; I hope to upgrade soon or to find a way to compile a more recent version of Lilypond myself if that's/to the extent possible rather than relying on the "fink install" version I'm using now, but for the moment: I'm very much enjoying learning and using LilyPond and its interface, have been doing so for the last three weeks.  Haven't yet successfully created a midi with it, though. (Engraved beautiful output which makes me very glad to have encountered this program- this letter is by way of a gripe and grumble, and even then hopefully one that I will find resolved when I've updated my OS and my LilyPond version.)

I'm having a problem like that reported by Mr. Scharkowski in March of 2004, except that instead of having .ly files that created, among other things, .midi output in 2.0.1 and not in the then-latest version, I was able to create nonfunctional MIDI-playable files that Quicktime, anyway, would not play last week and now LilyPond does not create MIDI-playable files at all.  Curiouser.

A file (\paper bracket removed - it didn't help, and lengthened the .ly file) - follows, of I hope brief length.
\include "paper11.ly"
\version "2.0.1"
\header {...} %(removed header for length. st. of cello part fr. a piece I began a dec. ago.)%
\midi { \tempo 4 = 60 }
\score
{
    \notes
    \relative c
{\newpage
{
\property Staff.instrument=#"Cello"
\property Staff.instrument=#"Vcl"
\property Staff.midiInstrument=#"cello"
\clef bass
\time 3/4
{
\tempo 4=60
a4\<\p (bes2 as4 bes\!\ff ges\p\> d8 e f b16 g c,4\!\fermata)
\tempo 4=90
 \fatText es4^"Allegro"\mf (as2)
 e4 (b'2)
c4 (a'2)
(I _hope_ I'm doing something very foolishly obviously wrong, besides not upgrading, etc.)
Eric Schissel
--
My beliefs are firmly rooted in my recollection of the gist of my understanding of the gestalt of the overall issue, more or less, dang it!