2.6: Please don't take my Cygwin away

From: Colin Wilding
Subject: 2.6: Please don't take my Cygwin away
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:37:35 +0100

Please could someone reassure me that Lilypond 2.6 will still be available on Cygwin, even though there is now a native Windows version?

I've tried the Windows version, and I am sure some people will like it, but it's not for me:

1.  There seems so be no feedback at the command line.  If I am updating an existing file then the only way I can tell whether a run has completed is by watching Explorer to see when the time stamps are updated.
2.  I can't find a way to run the .exe at the command line that will display help, e.g. a list of options.
3.  If a run fails the report does not display on the command line, only via the log file opening in Lilypad.
4. convert-ly is still in Python so I have to run that in Cygwin anyway.
5. I generally run Lilypond from jEdit and I'm not sure if I can get jEdit to run the native version.
6. I use LaTeX on Cygwin and I want to integrate Lilypond files using lilypond-book
7. The native version seems to use the Windows fonts, rather than the Cygwin fonts that I use on LaTeX (in fact I have no idea how Pango relates to the Windows fonts)
8. bash is far superior to the Windows command line.

--Colin Wilding