LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

From: stk
Subject: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 01:00:41 -0400 (EDT)

Since the problem I encountered involves using Ghostview, which I don't
think was intended in the native Windows distribution of LilyPond 2.6, I
don't think this qualifies as a LilyPond bug.  If I'm wrong about that
assumption, please tell me; I'm new to this list and I welcome your
guidance on the way I try to use it.

As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.  This seems advantageous, as
.PS  files are human-readable (to some extent), and they can be
converted anyway.

I installed LilyPond 2.6 running directly under Windows 98SE.  I ran
LilyPad, which came up with the Welcome to LilyPond .ly file.  I saved the
file, dragged and dropped its icon onto the LilyPond icon; this produced
an (extremely large -- 684 K)  .PS  file.

I opened this  .PS  file with one of the two Ghostviews I have installed:
     Ghostview 4.7 using Ghostscript 8.51 and accessing a bunch of fonts
     that do not include any music fonts (AFAIK).
Ghostview balked and produced only the error message reproduced below
(between the rows of asterisks).

I then opened the same  .PS  file with a different Ghostview:
     Ghostview 2.7 using Ghostscript 5.50 and accessing fonts that include
     a limited number of music fonts supplied by ABCedit.
This time Ghostview displayed the title and C-major scale that one would
expect from looking at the contents of the  .ly  file; it printed correctly.
It looked OK, but I have no way of knowing if the fonts or font sizes
were correct, and I doubt very much that the music fonts supplied
by ABCedit will have all the fonts I need in the long run (for viewing
the  .PS-file  LilyPond output).

So I have two questions:

A) To use Ghostview 4.7 plus Ghostscript 8.51, should I try to find all
the font files scattered throughout the LilyPond distribution and copy
them to a subdirectory which I will then add to Ghostview's Include List
for Ghostscript? This way I would wind up having two Fontmap files, one
Fontmap that came with the Ghostview 4.7 distribution (from the WISC.EDU
Ghostscript mirror), and another Fontmap that came with LilyPond; can I
merge these two, manually eliminating duplications and conflicts?

B) The .PS file produced by LilyPond is very large (684K), and perusing
the  .PS  file with a text processor shows the presence of three very long
%%BeginFont:
%%EndFont:
blocks.  Why should these fonts have to be
embedded in the  .PS  file, since the 3 font-files in question exist (in
LilyPond subdirectories) and therefore could be referenced (one way or
another).

Thank you for your help.

-- Tom

GSview 4.7 2005-03-26
Unknown in Comments section at line 7:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold

Unknown in Comments section at line 8:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma

Unknown in Comments section at line 9:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font PFAEmmentaler-20

Unknown in Prolog section at line 14:
  %%Title: CenturySchL-Bold

Unknown in Prolog section at line 15:
  %%CreationDate: Fri Nov 22 10:58:25 2002

Unknown in Prolog section at line 16:
  %%Creator: frob

Unknown in Prolog section at line 17:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold

Unknown in Prolog section at line 27:
  %%EndComments

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3699:
  %%Title: CenturySchL-Roma

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3700:
  %%CreationDate: Fri Nov 22 10:58:15 2002

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3701:
  %%Creator: frob

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3702:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3712:
  %%EndComments

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7319:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font PFAEmmentaler-20

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7320:
  %%Title: PFAEmmentaler-20

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7321:
  %%Version: @TOPLEVEL_VERSION@

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7322:
  %%CreationDate: Mon Jun 27 13:53:39 2005

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7323:
  %%Creator: Jan Nieuwenhuizen,,,

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7332:
  %%EndComments

DSC Information
At line 7347:
   /Notice (This font is distributed under the GNU General Public License. As a
special exception, if you create a document which uses this font, and embed
this font or unaltered portions of this font into the document, this font does
not by itself cause th

Lines in DSC documents must be shorter than 255 characters.
AFPL Ghostscript 8.51 (2005-04-18)
Copyright (C) 2005 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Displaying DSC file C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/WEL2LP.ps
Displaying page 1
%GSVIEW_PDF_MARK: /ANN /Subtype /Link /Action -dict- /Border Error: /typecheck
in --length--
Operand stack:
   --nostringval--   Rect   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   0.0   0.0   0.0
  4.98132   0   0
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false
  1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3
%oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   1   --nostringval--
%repeat_continue   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1129/1686(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:125/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory

--- Begin offending input ---
findfont 3.865234375 scalefont setfont
 /two glyphshow
 /period glyphshow
 /six glyphshow
 /period glyphshow
 /zero glyphshow
 grestore } place-box
067.2209 -163.0777 { gsave 1 output-scale div 1 output-scale div scale
  /CenturySchL-Roma  findfont 3.865234375 scalefont setfont
 /emdash glyphshow
 grestore } place-box
070.0061 -163.0777 { gsave 1 output-scale div 1 output-scale div scale
  /CenturySchL-Roma  findfont 3.865234375 scalefont setfont
 /w glyphshow
 /w glyphshow
 /w glyphshow
 /period glyphshow