Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:55:58 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

Since the problem I encountered involves using Ghostview, which I don't
think was intended in the native Windows distribution of LilyPond 2.6, I
don't think this qualifies as a LilyPond bug.  If I'm wrong about that
assumption, please tell me; I'm new to this list and I welcome your
guidance on the way I try to use it.
There are two parallel threads on this subject. One on this list and one on bug-lilypond. The one on this list has subject: pdf files. You may be slightly ahead of us but join in.

As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.  This seems advantageous, as
.PS  files are human-readable (to some extent), and they can be
converted anyway.

I installed LilyPond 2.6 running directly under Windows 98SE.  I ran
LilyPad, which came up with the Welcome to LilyPond .ly file.  I saved the
file, dragged and dropped its icon onto the LilyPond icon; this produced
an (extremely large -- 684 K)  .PS  file.
Yes, these ps files are ridiculously large for a file with one simple scale.

Paul Scott