Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:32:09 +0200

It certainly works on Win XP for me (i.e. I do get a PDF file as
well), but apparently not for Sacha who also uses Win XP.

   /Mats

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.

This is an unfortunate bug, that should have been solved in one of the
many 2.5 test releases.

A) To use Ghostview 4.7 plus Ghostscript 8.51, should I try to find all
the font files scattered throughout the LilyPond distribution and copy
them to a subdirectory which I will then add to Ghostview's Include List
for Ghostscript? This way I would wind up having two Fontmap files, one
Fontmap that came with the Ghostview 4.7 distribution (from the WISC.EDU
Ghostscript mirror), and another Fontmap that came with LilyPond; can I
merge these two, manually eliminating duplications and conflicts?

No, the feta fonts are embedded, just set GS_FONTPATH to c:/windows/fonts.

B) The .PS file produced by LilyPond is very large (684K), and perusing
blocks.  Why should these fonts have to be
embedded in the  .PS  file, since the 3 font-files in question exist (in
LilyPond subdirectories) and therefore could be referenced (one way or
another).

We keep improving and adding to the LilyPond fonts all the time, so
the output must be self contained.  The PS is intermediate anyway.

Jan.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems