Re: note and dynamics collisions in lilypond

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: note and dynamics collisions in lilypond
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:08:29 +0200

Quoting Stephen <address@hidden>:

> [...]

Actually, as long as you just want to just want to adjust the
vertical position, it's better to set the padding property of
the DynamicLineSpanner object (see the reference in the manual
section on Dynamics), so (de)crescendi get aligned the same way
as the absolute dynamics.

> But it needs to have even more of a distinction from text than it has;
> unlike text which is a line and has a horizontal span which can only be
> meaningfully placed above or below the note it is attatched to, an absolute
> dynamic is more of a symbol which should be able to be placed above, below,
> or to the left of the note, like a fingering indication. In fact, Absolute
> Dynamics are typically to the left of its note in piano music when they are
> not centered between the staves. When they are running horizontally between
> the staves, the Dynamic is meant to affect all voices simutaneously.

I haven't seen dynamics to the left of a note, but I don't play piano
that often. On the other hand, I haven't seen any similar feature request
earlier on the mailing lists, so I guess the main developers would
appreciate some references (send them to lilypond-devel).

   /Mats