Re: Lilypond and stability

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Lilypond and stability
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:02:34 +0200

Sebastiano Vigna <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 20:07 +0200, Erik Sandberg wrote:
>> realised - you can write your own repeat unfold! I'm no Scheme expert,
>> but I managed to write this quick hack:
>
> Scheme hacks are not portable across versions, and certainly not fixed
> by convert-ly (I just removed a snippet from LSR because of that).

You're taking that the wrong way.
I think defining custom functions precisely helps maintaining large
scores. Let me tell you about a personal example. In a very large score,
I wanted tempo markings (Allegro...) to be written like this:

\mark \markup { "" \translate #(cons -3 2) "Allegro" }

What I did was to define a custom function, \tempoMark, invoked like
this: \tempoMark #"Allegro"

But some day, \markup { "" \translate ... } stopped working as before,
and had to be changed to: \markup { " " \translate ... } (note the space
between the double quotes.) This was simply done by just changing the
custom function definition, not the 148 places were \tempoMark was used.

nicolas