Figured Bass Improvements Potential Sponsorship of Improving this Featur

From: Trent J
Subject: Figured Bass Improvements Potential Sponsorship of Improving this Feature.
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:52:56 +1000

Dear All,

Currently I am thinking about sponsoring the improvement of the figured bass system within LilyPond.

The Main features that I am proposing are:

1: The alignment of the figures are calcuated from the top of the figured group and spaced appropriately from the bottom of the note they appear under. i.e. the figures will be placed dynamically from the bass note rather than the current method of aligning along a baseline based on the number of figures. Also the same facility to place the figures above the continuo part and again dynamically spaced from the note to avoid collisions.

2: The introduction of spanner lines. These are used mainly in french baroque music as well as some sacred music scores. They indicate the prolongation of a figure or group of figures. e.g

6   --------------

4   --------------

2  ---------------

or

6

4 -----------------

2

indicating the entire group to be prolonged.

or

6 ---------------

indicating that the 6th and 2nd stay the same but the 5th moved to a 3rd.

3. Lastly that the figures are centred on the number with modifying accidentals placed on either side. Also accidentals by themselves can be used eg.

#

5

indicating a sharpened 3rd.

If anyone else has ideas or wishes to contribute to the funding of this feature please contact me at address@hidden.