opening files with Notepad

From: Larry Kent
Subject: opening files with Notepad
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:25:10 +0000

Taking my first baby steps with Lily, so forgive the syntax/grammer of the question:

Using NotePad, I've entered a few short samples from the user's manual, even edited in a few changes, etc., and all goes well, saved the files as something like "Test.ly" and run the compiler, the output comes out great in a .pdf file.

The problem is that when I then reopen the source file in Notepad, everything looks different, all run together and basically un-readable. I've also gone to the Mutopia site and downloaded a couple of examples. They look fine, print fine, but again when I open the source code files in Notepad (I've also tried MSWord), the same thing happens.

What am I missing here?  BTW:  I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks. -LK

Larry Kent
Tampa, FL