Re: opening files with Notepad

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: opening files with Notepad
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:49:10 -0700

David Tweet wrote:

That's weird, I just opened wtk-1-fugue2.ly <http://wtk-1-fugue2.ly/> (one of the examples from the website) in Notepad and it seems like the newline character is getting printed as an empty rectangle(???).

That's because the files on the website are *nix text files. Their lines end with a newline character (line feed). NotePad (DOS) expects lines to end with CRLF (carriage return, line feed) and doesn't expect line feed alone so it replaces with the symbol for non-printable control character (ASCII or ANSI code < 32).

To use those files on MS Windows you need to convert all the line endings from *nix to DOS. There are a number of simple programs to convert the files or get an editor like EditPad Lite which can do the conversion.

The files I made in emacs display fine though.

I use XEmacs on Windows XP, so I can get all the fun syntax highlighting colors. For Windows I would recommend it over Gnu Emacs, just because it allows you to take advantage of WinXP's ClearType font smoothing ( _much_ easier on the eyes ). You can get it for free at http://www.xemacs.org <http://www.xemacs.org/>

Did you try opening the website files in XEmacs?

Paul