Re: Uniform, "graph-paper" spacing?

From: Trevor Baca
Subject: Re: Uniform, "graph-paper" spacing?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:14:02 -0500

Yes, and perhaps the implementation of such a "snap-to-grid" or
"metronomic-time" or "graph-paper" spacing could simply be some
routine, call it "uniform_spacing", noticed by the Spacing_engraver
and passed to the SpacingSpanner as the value of the
"spacing-procedure":

\set SpacingSpanner '#spacing-procedure = 'uniform_spacing

This is complicated, of course, because it means writing such a
uniform_spacing routine in the first place. But perhaps much, much
less complicated than the extreme sophistication already built into
the existing set_springs routine, which captures the elegance of
engraver spacing. uniform_spacing, for example, would take no notice
whatever of the width of accidentals, scripts, etc: merely the time
values of notes and rests, with the width of all preferatory material
subtracted before dividing up the time axis evenly between the
duration of the system.

Or is all this overthinking the problem? Is there already a way to
tweak "shortest-duration-space" and / or "spacing-increment" and / or
"base-shortest-duration" to create uniform spacing?

Trevor.