Re: 3/4 time oddity

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: 3/4 time oddity
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:18:25 -0600

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:10:11AM -0600, Steve D wrote:

> Using LilyPond 2.6.1, does anyone else notice an oddity with:
>
> \time 3/4
--- ---

What a horrible question I asked, with no indication of operating
environment, PDF application version numbers, with imprecise phrases
like "odd looking" and "[the phenomenon] changes with different
magnifications," etc. Sorry everyone. I'll work on trying to figure it
out.

Basically, if I include the following in a .ly file:

\time 1/2 { c2 }
\time 2/4 { c2 }
\time 3/4 { c2. }
\time 4/8 { c4 c }
\time 5/4 { c4 c c c2 }
\time 6/8 { c4 c c }
\time 7/8 { c4 c c c8 }
\time 8/8 { c1 }
\time 9/8 { c1 c8 }
\time 13/8 { c2 c c c8 }

--only the time signatures that include a "3" (or "5," it turns out) as
the upper number are displayed in such a way that the 3 (in some PDF
viewers) is either invisible or seems to have the left half of the glyph
chopped off, as well as seeming displaced slightly downward and to the
left of its usual position above the lower number.

Here's a small cropped screenshot of the 13/8 time signature change in
the LilyPond fragment above, as displayed by Gnome PDF Viewer (gpdf):

http://www.xscd.com/pub/pics/tmp/thirteen-eight.gif

Operating environment:

* Tyan dual-CPU (AMD MP) motherboard
* AGNULA DeMuDi 1.2.1 (Debian based Linux distro, latest release, recently
installed)
* Gnome desktop environment
* gs -> GPL Ghostscript 8.15 (2004-09-22)
* xpdf -> xpdf version 3.00
* gpdf -> Gnome PDF Viewer 2.8.2
* evince document viewer -> v 0.3.0

Anyway, gs displays both the postscript and PDF versions of the file
created by LilyPond just fine, and xpdf displays the PDF version fine as
well. It's just gpdf and evince (the only two other programs on my
machine that can display PDF files, that I know of) that display the
"anomalous '3' (and '5')." However, that did make me wonder if there was
something unusual about the glyph(s) or postscript code that creates the
glyph(s).

Apologies again for such an awkwardly expressed question in the first
place.

-sd
He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up.  -Paul
Keating