[ANN] LilyPad Preview 1

From: Ed Baskerville
Subject: [ANN] LilyPad Preview 1
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:28:37 -0700

Fellow LilyPutians,

As promised a long, long time ago, I'm releasing a preview version of LilyPad, a simple editor/previewer for LilyPond. It's still a rough work in progress--what you see represents a very small amount of work spread over a long period of time--but it's pretty usable in its current form for editing and previewing simple single-file LilyPond projects.

Features include:
- A simple code editor with indent preservation
- "Almost live" previewing as you type
- Previews of typeset music (PDF) and audio (MIDI)
- "Point-and-click" links between typeset music and the source code, all within the same application

To get it, go here:

http://edbaskerville.com/software/lilypad/

Right now, it requires Mac OS X version 10.4 ("Tiger"), and requires that LilyPond 2.6 for Mac OS X be installed in your /Applications directory. Documentation is nonexistent, but it should be pretty straightforward--if you have any questions about how to use it, just ask me, on or off the list.

Since I wrote the initial code, LilyPond itself has acquired some of the features LilyPad was supposed to bring: a Mac OS X graphical interface for LilyPond, point-and-click in PDFs on Mac OS X, etc. LilyPad takes a slightly different approach, with background previewing, etc., but the goals are one and the same. As such, I'd like to work with the LilyPond development team to bring this code into LilyPond itself, hopefully in time for the 2.8 release. So you can think of LilyPad not so much as a thing unto itself, but more as the direction I'd like to see LilyPond take on the Mac OS X platform. (I will follow this message with one to the development list with more detailed questions and suggestions.)

Please send me any feedback on this work, again, here or off-list. I'm aware of many limitations (most notably, that things probably won't work right for multi-file projects), but I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of, as well as bugs.

Happy LilyPonding,
Ed