Re: (OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: (OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:02:26 -0700

On 27-Jul-05, at 7:54 PM, Trevor Baca wrote:

I thought I'd take this offline since the rest of the list at least
appears to have a pretty good handle on diacritics.

We might as well keep on it on the list; there may be somebody like me
who spends an hour searching mailing lists looking for a solution.  :)

Just like you I'm using vim from the OS X terminal application (not fink).

Are you using 10.4?  (see below)

What do these values give you:

  :set encoding?

Entered in command mode?
E519: Option not supported: encoding?
(same result for ":set encoding")

":set" just gives me this:
:set
--- Options ---
backspace=2 scroll=14 ttyfast ttymouse=xterm
Hit ENTER or type command to continue

I think that should be enough to get what you need.

I finally tried using vim from fink. Fink has version 6.3-4; OSX 10.3.9 uses 6.2. I didn't change my terminal settings or ~/.vimrc... and now utf-8 stuff works. I can see digraph chars, I can see the smart quotes in the lyrics
section, etc.

I don't know if you're using 10.3 or 10.4, but I know that Han-Wen uses
10.3.9, and I'm pretty certain that he can use utf-8, so I find this quite
curious... but at least it's working for me now.

Cheers,
- Graham