Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:51:04 +0200

Fairchild wrote:
Overwhelming and convincing argument.

I would like to see the argument for the opposite, since there are so many characters that are alike. We have the n-dash and the em-dash for the hyphen, and unicode (being 31-bit) doubtlessly will have tons of oth er similar characters. How do you suggest to go about and find them all? What will this gain in clarity of the language definition, and how do you propose to deal with ambiguities in the syntax (the high ascii chars normally being part of a string.)

In any event, the definition of ' for Scheme (i.e. # in LilyPond) is set by the R5RS standard. We cannot change that.

In short, I think it is bad idea, and I wish people would just trust my judgement for once.