Re: missing term in Icking glossary

From: dax2
Subject: Re: missing term in Icking glossary
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:37:13 +0200

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:14:06 -0400
Luis wrote:

> I agree with this comment. Tenuto is not the opposite to
> staccato. However I believe that detache' is not the opposite of
> tenuto either.

That is good! yes! Tenuto means as long as possible but still with a
pointed start of the tone (ansats/ansatz in Danish, I cannot find
the English equivalent)

Tenuto means keep-it-long, tenere means to keep or hold.

Detache means kept apart, divided, in violin it means a kind of
quick bowing on shorter notes which gives the notes "ansatz" and
otherwise is very flowing. You could say "fast tenuto".

> My understanding of tenuto is to sustain or to hold but I wish
> some of the italian speakers in this list help us out with a
> better definition.
>
> By the way, In Spanish we pretty much always go by the Italian
> terms when speaking of music, so we use tenuto as well.

Italian is the global music language and it is a pity that we
cannot speak more italian all of us. We should look up Italian
words every time we see them.

http://www.google.com/language_tools

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel