Re: missing term in Icking glossary

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: missing term in Icking glossary
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:10:07 +0200

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
address@hidden wrote:

Hi!
In finnish this symbol is called "viiva" or "tenuto".

But generally, tenuto means

I tried to avoid the issue by confining my remark to
the tenuto *mark*.  One can define "tenuto" as "holding"
and leave it at that, but the mark "-" is in the real
world composer-specific in meaning.  A frank admission
of that, no matter how worded, would be very nice in the
glossary.

I would say that this is a more universal observation. E.g. the interpretation of sfz , > and ^ also depend on the composer/era.