Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:39:04 -0400

Laura Conrad wrote:

> GP> On 29-Jul-05, at 1:15 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
>>> Isn't it just a matter of using the LaTeX \begin{verbatim}
>>> environment for the @lilypond[verbatim] texinfo stuff?
>
> GP> No, apparently not.  Never mind... what a stupid LaTeX bug!
> Doesn't GP> verbatim mean _verbatim_ ?!
>
> It may well be a stupid LaTeX feature, but LaTeX input has been
> stable for a couple of decades now, and any LaTeX that you wrote then
>  you can still use now.  They don't rewrite the input every time
> someone decides that it was a stupid design in the first place.

If lilypond is moving away from latex, I want to point out the
most bonehead stupid feature of latex.  Almost all of the
latex formatting now is letter or a4 size, yet latex doesn't format
text in two columns by default on pages of those sizes.  It should do so
excepting text blocks which are four lines (in two columns) or less, in
which case that block or paragraph should be in one column by default.
That's the way good typography is supposed to be done, and calling
that a job for a layout program doesn't make it so.  daveA