Re: the accent symbol

From: Robert T Wyatt
Subject: Re: the accent symbol
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:13:06 -0500

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

To everyone,

I am thoroughly shocked to discover that the term referred to was "moreable" which seems to be completely made up.

It is used by certain programmers to indicate a field for data entry that can be "opened" for more information. So the field may contain a symbol like a + when there is no extra data, but the field would contain a > to indicate that there is more data.

The field is thus a 'moreable' field and can open a 'moreable' window. Turns out they have gone so far as to include instructions to "... space over the moreable..." to open the pop-up window.

Now, I must admit that this is more concise than saying "... place a space character over the greater than sign..." but really!

For what it's worth, the programmers are using 'Natural' a programming language developed by Software AG (a German company). It is possible (but I don't know how likely) that the term originated here.

Thanks for your time,

Robert

Fairchild wrote:
Robert -

Maybe you are searching for "marcato" (Italian) or "marcado" (Spanish)

See http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory21.htm#accent
http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/courses/rhythm/illustrations/accent.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accent_%28music%29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcato

                       - Bruce