Re: convert-ly problem

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: convert-ly problem
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:35:37 -0500

I have the opposite opinion from Laura.

The first project I did using Lilypond was to convert an old file from 1.3 to 2.4.

It required a lot of hand editing. In the end, it is easier to hand edit a file than to re-input all the notes. I had to manally move all the open brackets for beaming over, because convert-ly could not move both parentheses and brackets on the same notes.

As I was working, I was pleased to see how much better the new syntax was. It was very refreshing to see developers who were willing to change a program so much to improve it without regard for compatibility issues. Finally, I found a project whose main objective was to be as good as it can possibly be.

It is dissapointing to see that many of the changes from 2.4 to 2.6 are to make Lilypond more user-friendly. TeX has been replaced by Pango because it is smaller and easier to install. I was looking forward to learning how to integrate TeX and Lilypond in my *.ly files more and more.

Additionally, the TeX fonts looked better than the Pango fonts do to me. If I make a title bold it is too bold now. I think the new font needs a slightly less bold bold.

My feeling is that rather than try to increase Lilypond's user base, Lilypond should be developed to become such a good tool that no other program can rival it and some of the profressional high-end users will not be able to use anything else.

Put another way, I think the devolopers should develop Lilypond for their own needs and let the other users see for themselves how that makes Lilypond more useful for everyone in the long run rather than try to anticpate the needs of the fictional "general user".

Stephen