Generating a score for screen display

From: Pete Yandell
Subject: Generating a score for screen display
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:17:58 +1000

I'm writing a music tuition type app for Mac OS X, and Lilypond is top of my list of potential tools for generating scores for display on the screen. Lilypond seems a good choice because it can spit out nice looking scores in PDF, and can also spit out some basic MIDI.

Now the questions. I have several, in order of importance:

1. Can I work out which notes in the MIDI file correspond to which notes in the PDF of the score?

I want to highlight notes on the screen as they're played, so I need to map between the MIDI data and locations of notes in the PDF.

Currently, as a quick-and-dirty solution, I'm scanning the PDF for the hyperlinks that connect the notes back to the original source file, sorting these, and assuming that one note in the score equals one note in the MIDI file. This is (obviously) not what you'd call a robust solution. Any of the Lilypond gurus/developers suggest a better way?

2. Can I generate a score as a single horizontal line rather than as multiple lines and pages?

I may want to have the music scroll horizontally as it is played, rather than vertically. To do this, I'd need to make Lilypond spit out one long line of music.

3. Can I make Lilypond put all the staff lines, bar lines, note stems, etc. on integer pixel boundaries such that horizontal and vertical lines aren't anti-aliased?

Obviously this would make the screen display a bit nicer.

I realise that all this stuff is not really what Lilypond was designed for, but I'm hoping that someone out there will see it as an interesting challenge and lend me a hand, or at least point me in the right direction. :)

Cheers,

Pete Yandell