Re: 2.6.2 Aborting after Element count 1640

From: dax2
Subject: Re: 2.6.2 Aborting after Element count 1640
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 01:17:34 +0200

I sent an answer directly to Graham Percival, sorry, here it is.
Han Wen asked me to send full source (which I did but not on the list,
anyone can see it here: http://www.d-axel.dk/pub/music/TOOBIGSNIPPET/

TOOBIGSNIPPET?  I couldn't think of another name:-)

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:20:52 -0700
Graham wrote:

> I recommend that you fix the clashing note columns problem and
> try compiling the example again.  If you still have this "Abort"
> problem,  then send it to bug-lilypond.

But the clashing columns must be there. There were no other solution
to this Mutopia project. I needed to see if Lilypond can make
multiple voice-style piano music and it can, if you learn some tweaks.

There are no rules for making Chopin typesetting without
note-column-clashes (like Bach's handwriting, by the way). Chopin's
voice-style was sometimes reduced (very cleverly and acceptably)
by Breitkopf - engravers, because it was too weird even for them!

But in this Peters-inspired layout every detail means something and
tell's a lot about how to create art from a dead piano.

I have tried to isolate line 560, but it works fine, and then it
comes out like the attachment. I am sorry I cannot get the
snippet to fail. You can see the normal result and the full
piano score on mutopia or
http://www.d-axel.dk/pub/music/TOOBIGSNIPPET/Chop-28-1-L250.pdf
where you can also find the complete source.

By the way, convert-ly-2.6.2 does not change anything in this source
except the version number when going from 2.5.0 to 2.6.0

Code for the attachment - png:

\version "2.6.2"

% force direction of stems
u = \stemUp
z = \stemDown
%% Neutral = \stemNeutral

% explicit staff change
su = { \change Staff = upper}
sd = { \change Staff = lower}

% force direction of tie
tu = \tieUp
td = \tieDown
tb = \tieNeutral

upperTwo =  {
  \voiceTwo
  \override TupletBracket   #'bracket-visibility = ##f
  \override TupletBracket   #'number-visibility = ##f
  \once \override TupletBracket   #'direction = #'1
  \once \override TupletBracket   #'bracket-visibility = #'if-no-beam
  \once \override TupletBracket   #'number-visibility = ##t
  \tu \slurUp
  \override Slur   #'attachment = #'(stem . stem)

% bar 27
  \override Beam   #'positions = #'(-0.6 . -0.5)
  \times 2/3 {d16\rest  \z g8[ } \times 2/3 {s8  a16]} |

}

\score {
  \context PianoStaff <<
    % Actually this works! See bottom note(*1)
    % \override PianoStaff.TupletBracket   #'bracket-visibility = ##f
    \time 2/8
    \context Staff = "upper" <<
      \clef violin
      %- \context Voice = "one" \upperOne
      \context Voice = "two" \upperTwo

    %- \new Dynamics <<
    %-       \middleDynamics
    %- >>

  \layout {
     \context {
        \type "Engraver_group_engraver"
        \name Dynamics
        \consists "Output_property_engraver"
        minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-1 . 1)

        pedalSustainStrings = #'("Ped." "*Ped." "*")

        \consists "Piano_pedal_engraver"
        \consists "Script_engraver"
        \consists "Dynamic_engraver"
        \consists "Text_engraver"

        %% \override TextScript #'font-size = #2
        \override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic

        \consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"

        \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
    }

    \context {
        \PianoStaff
        \accepts Dynamics
        \override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7
    }
  }   %% end paper
  \midi { }

dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel