sponsoring better tied chords?

From: VSD
Subject: sponsoring better tied chords?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:14:55 +0200

All,

it seems that Lilypond still manages the tied chords poorly, and the ties in chords collide very often.

e.g. see:

http://personales.ya.com/v_s_d/tied_chords.png

imho this problem should be solved to avoid "poor looking" spots in the otherwise gorgeously engraved lilypond scores, so I would be willing to sponsor a feature which helps to improve this issue.

Anyone would like to join forces (budget) with me to help me to afford the sponsoring? :)

My suggestion would be to extend the TieColumn object to have a "direction" property for each tie, e.g. in a list. Then the user could override it's own positioning "algorithm" more or less like this:

\override TieColumn #'directions = #'(up down down down)
<c' g' b' c''>4 ~ <c' g' b' c''>
\tieColumnNeutral % revert to default

provided that this list could be dynamic (i.e, to have as many directions as notes in the following tied chord).

or there is a better solution?

TIA,

Vincent