Re: Compilation of Lilypond on FreeBSD

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Compilation of Lilypond on FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:22:21 +0200

Zbyněk Burget writes:

> O.K. - I shall write to mailing list...

Thanks!

> I try compile lilypond 2.6.3 on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE.
> To save time of compilation, I've decidet on use "make -C mf get-pfa"
> Entire compilation process pass O.K. (it seemed), but through install
> process I get error:
>
> /home/zburget/make/lilypond-2.6.3/stepmake/stepmake/../bin/install-sh:
> ./out/feta11.svg does not exist.
> gmake[1]: *** [local-install-outfiles] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/zburget/make/lilypond-2.6.3/mf'
> gmake: *** [install] Error 2
>
> there is no file feta*.svg in directory mf/out.
> ...but eg. emmentaler*.svg files are.
>
> If I patch mf/GNUmakefile so that *.svg files are extracted from
> lilypond-2.6.3-1.i386.rpm (such as *.pfa), all is all right.

Good.

> in previous version of lilypond was dependency on mfrtace "optional",
> now is "required" - I compile and install functional lilypond without
> mftrace. In documentation is written, that mftraced fonts can be used
> from .rpm by "make -C mf get-pfa" - why is mftarce required for
> compilation of lilypond? IMHO ptional dependency is sufficient...

Using the get-pfa target is just a short-cut, mainly intended for
people with old systems.  If you want to build everything from source,
eg after changing the font, you'll need to run mftrace (and autotrace
and fontforge).

> On other side - where is problem with .svg files...?

There's probably a feta*.svg target/dependency missing in
mf/GNUmakefile.  I'll have a look, thanks for the report.

> ...and last question - would it be possible cancel dependency on
> fontforge (or change dependency to "optional") and use required files
> from pre-compiled package?

Yes.

> ...or generally - would it be possible to src package put
> platform-independent binary data (fonts) instead of source code of
> this data?

Yes.  Have a look at the Debian package.

Jan.