character encoding problem with windows

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: character encoding problem with windows
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:56:21 -0700

I'm trying to update a piece that I typeset with the 2.4.0 cygwin
build. I decided to upgrade to the newest native windows version but
when I compile none of the special characters show up (Très modéré,
più, etc...). I get nothing instead of them. Is this a problem anyone
else has experienced? Is there something I'm missing? I've even tried
out the included examples and they don't work either. So far in my
searches I haven't found any documentation of this problem. Should I
just stick with the cygwin builds? Thanks for the help.

------Horndude77