Re: Markup over last barline

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Markup over last barline
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:45:59 +0200

Hans Aberg wrote:
On 14 Aug 2005, at 23:20, Graham Percival wrote:

I have already seen it. The lines
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right
     \mark "D.S. al Fine "
generate the error:
 Processing `/Users/foo/Music/LilyPond/RachenitsaB.ly'
Parsing...<unnamed port>: In expression ’self-alignment-X:
<unnamed port>: Unbound variable: ’self-alignment-X

But if I ignore what the manual says, I can get it printed over the last barline. Confusing, though.

If an example from the manual doesn't work, I consider it a serious bug. I just
checked this example on 2.7.5, and it works; what version are you  using?

I used 2.7.4-1, the latest available download.

Did
you copy the whole example?

As has already been pointed out, the problem is that the single
quote should be exactly a plain single quote, not a left quote
or right quote. There was a recent discussion on the mailing list
related to these problems with copy/paste from the manual in its
different incarnations (HTML/PDF).

I tried to embed various forms of it into my own code. The variation that works for me looks like:

\score {
\new Staff <<
\relative {
  \tempo 4 = 144
  \key e \minor
  \time 7/16
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 7 16) 4 16)
  % ...
  \repeat volta 2 {
    fis8.\trill^\markup { \italic "Accordion" }
      a16  g16 fis e  | dis8.\trill fis16  e dis c |
    b16 c dis8\trill  c16 b a   | b16 c dis e  fis8\trill b,16 |
    fis'8.\trill a16  g16 fis e | dis8.\trill fis16  e dis c |
    b16 c dis8\trill  c16 b a   | b8.\trill fis16  b8\trill
     r16
     \once \override Score.RehearsalMark
       #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
     \mark \markup { \center-align {\italic "D.C." \italic "al  Fine" } }

  }
  \key e \minor

Forms looking more like in the manual didn't work when I tried.

How do I get it printed under the barline?

First of all, note that \mark is handled at the score level, so
you can only use it to print things above or below the full system,
not above/below each stave. So, if you want to printed below the
system, just set the 'direction' property:
\override Score.RehearsalMard #'direction = #DOWN

   /Mats