Re: 2 Questions: marking "sections" and automatic beaming

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: 2 Questions: marking "sections" and automatic beaming
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:14:31 +0200

Mark Gibbens wrote:
I'm new to music publishing on linux, and have just transcribed a tune with Lilypond for the first time.

Here's the piece I'm working on:
http://flet.org/tests/The-New-Way-to-Bowden.ly
http://flet.org/tests/The-New-Way-to-Bowden.pdf

The automatic beaming seems not to be working well in the second-from-last bar of each repeat section. The first time round, I've used manual beaming to fix it, but I wonder if there's anything I'm doing wrong to cause Lilypond not to beam those last 4 semi-quavers in the offending bars.

You keep confusing LilyPond with all your \partial statements. Use
\partial only at the beginning of the piece and everything should work
fine.

And also, I'm not sure of the correct musical terminology here, but I'd like to mark each repeated section with a number or letter - "[1]" or "[a]" - displayed above the stave at the start repeat bar-line. Letters would probably make the most sense in the folk music context I'm working in. But I couldn't find how I might do this in the documentation... any advice?

Read about "rehearsal marks" in the documentation.

An additional comment about your file: Why not use the
builtin support for repeats in LilyPond? The start of your
piece could be written as

\score {
        \relative c'' {

                \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-numbers
                % [1]
                \time 4/4
                \clef treble
                \key a \major