Can't easily install LilyPond 2.6.x on Ubuntu

From: Mark Gibbens
Subject: Can't easily install LilyPond 2.6.x on Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:21:58 +0100

If anyone's successfully installed LilyPondon 2.6.x on Ubuntu, I'd be grateful for tips. I've tried the .package binary, but it appears not to be happy with the version of Ghostview I've got (gnome-gv 1:2.8.4-0ubuntu2, gv 1:3.6.1-2). I do try and stick to the packages as much as possible, so I'm a bit uneasy about needing to change my Ghostview install too...

Is building LilyPond from source *really* as involved as the documentation suggests? Am I likely also to hit problems with my ghostview version if I take that route? And how easy is it to stay on top of upgrades - can new versions be installed comfortably over old ones?

Cheers,
Mark.