Re: Price quote for better tied chords?

From: Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Subject: Re: Price quote for better tied chords?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:51:23 -0700

Count me in for 50. But when it comes about be ready to explain how to pay very clearly as money and the internet and I don't always get along.
Jay

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

VSD wrote:

All,

it seems that Lilypond still manages the tied chords poorly, and the ties in chords collide very often.

e.g. see:

http://personales.ya.com/v_s_d/tied_chords.png

imho this problem should be solved to avoid "poor looking" spots in the otherwise gorgeously engraved lilypond scores, so I would be willing to sponsor a feature which helps to improve this issue.

Anyone would like to join forces (budget) with me to help me to afford the sponsoring? :)

Hi,

I have taken a closer look at tie formatting in the beautiful Wiener Urtext of Brahms op 119 that I have (the piece has lots and lots of ties). I think that I can cook something that closely mimicks this style, and solves the existing problems with seconds in chords. The trickiest bit is that ties should avoid staff lines, and which means that short ties should completely be inside the spaces, while long ties should cross the staff line, to have their horizontal part in the center of the space.

If anyone is interested, I can put up a scan of the Brahms piece.

Implementing this (and figuring out the mechanism) is somewhat involved
so I have to charge EUR 450 to implement it. AFAICS, we already have pledges for 300 EUR, so an additional EUR 150 is still needed. Of course, contributions of smaller amounts (eg 3 people contributing 50 euro) are also welcome.

Hans' suggested to move the attachment points horizontally for seconds. That would make things less ugly, but it is contrary to the engraving conventions.

--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton