Rewritten tie code: great

From: Steve D
Subject: Rewritten tie code: great
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:36:09 -0600

Most of the ties placed by the default behavior of the newly rewritten tie code look great, as shown in the regression tests for tie-chord.ly:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html

It is so nice to have this aspect of LilyPond improved. Thank you Han-Wen.

In addition, it is satisfying to be able to manually format ties in some of the extreme cases (multiple intervals of a second spaced closely within a chord, etc.).

I admit that I am a little confused about the newly implemented manual tie configuration, as exemplified by:

\override TieColumn #'tie-configuration =
 <b d f g> ~ <b d f g>

In each pair of parameters following the "#'tie-configuration =" I assume that the second parameter represents the direction of the tie (-1 for a downward arc and 1 for an upward arc), and I assume that the first parameter represents the vertical location of each tie, but I can't figure out exactly what the numbers (0, 2, 5.5, 7 in the example above) correspond with or refer to.

Anyway, it's wonderful to have this improved functionality.

Steve D
New Mexico, US

P.S. I paid my co-sponsor pledge for the tie rewriting using PayPal. Is the use of PayPal now discouraged? (A few messages in lilypond-devel seemed to indicate that might be.) If so, what is now a preferred method to send donations/sponsorship funds?