Re: text below staff ouch!

From: stk
Subject: Re: text below staff ouch!
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:45:21 -0400 (EDT)

Well, from your four examples, and from Han-Wen's remarks, it looks like
you will have to give up on using wordwrap:  I think you will have to
produce each line of the text individually, given LilyPond's current
limitations.

If you define the lines in variables,

La = "this string is the first line of text"
Lb = "this string is the second line of text"
Lc = "this string is the third line of text"

and so on, guessing as well as you can how to break up the text
into lines, then you can write

\markup { La }
\markup { Lb }
\markup { Lc }

or instead, the following might work:

\markup { \column { La Lb Lc } }

I haven't been using LilyPond for very long, but I think you could write
something like

\markup {  \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.2) \column { La Lb Lc } }

or maybe

\markup { \column { \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.2) La Lb Lc } }

to control the vertical spacing of the lines.  But at least one of those
two possibilities is not correct syntax.  I'm pressed for time tonight, so
I can't try these things out at the moment.

As to whether you could throw in a   \justify   before or inside
the \column {...} construct, I don't know, but it would be worth a try.

-- Tom