Fwd: lily rO><Or!

From: Maurits Lamers
Subject: Fwd: lily rO><Or!
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:40:41 +0200

I got this reply off-list, so I'll put it back on-list :)

Greets

Maurits

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bec and John Silva <address@hidden>
Date: 28 augustus 2005 3:27:16 GMT+02:00
To: Maurits Lamers <address@hidden>
Cc: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: lily rO><Or!

Hi Maurits,

I have nothing to do with the development of Lilypond and I have done very little more than a super-quick scan through a few of the source files, so what I say is a complete guess.

I suspect that Lilypond could be made to layout a single measure if requested, but I think one of the main advantages of Lilypond's output is that it takes the entire score into consideration when calculating the layout. If a feature was added which could isolate calculations to just differences in the score, a user would run the risk of forgetting to recalculate the entire score for optimum layout (and personally, I'm always against letting users mess up their own work).

I know the time to calculate can be a bit long for this computer-age of "it must happen right now!", but I've found that it causes me to do more work between previews. I've also found that the more proficient I get at Lilypond the less bothered I am with non-instantaneous previews.

Just my thoughts.

- John

I was wondering...

if you cannot optimize the code itself very much. maybe it is possible to improve the way Lilypond parses the ly file.

When I am editing and tweaking a file, I need to change one little thing and recompile it.
As far as I can see it, lilypond then always runs the complete file from scratch...

Maybe it is possible to provide lilypond with a kind of diff function that enables it to determine the changes and change only what is necessary ?
(by saving states for example...) Or is this impossible ?

If this could work it could mean quite a speed improvement...

greets

Maurits