Re: Jazz Chords

From: VSD
Subject: Re: Jazz Chords
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:10:56 +0200

(please always specify which version of lilypond are you using. I can only assure that the following works from version 2.4.2 up to the latest)

take a look at chord-name-exceptions.ly in the regression tests.

it shows how to customize how the chord names are displayed. you can add as many chords to chExceptionMusic as you want, and you can use any text markup to display the chord your own way.

if you remove the voice context, then the chord pitches won't be printed, only the names in the ChordNames context. Then you can put the piece's melody in the voice context and you'll have a nice lead sheet with your melody and your nice custom chords :)

as a hint, I have chExceptionMusic (with all my custom defined chords) and chExceptions in a separate file named "jazzchords.ly", so each time needed I just have to include that file and write the line:

\set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions

at the begining of the \chordmode block.

greetings,

Vincent