More Centred Dynamics

From: Will Oram
Subject: More Centred Dynamics
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:33:07 -0400

(Sorry if this gets reposted; I seem to be having a nasty habit lately of sending lilypond e-mails from my nonregistered e-mail address!)

I tried Mats' template for centred piano dynamics but found it to be off-balance. Maybe I will try later with greater tweaking. Also, do the dynamics in this template apply themselves to MIDI, or is it functional only in layout?

In the meantime, I have reverted back to the example given in the manual. When I try the code below -- typed by myself, not copied -- the piano staff appears as a three-staff system, with dynamics wedged between the second and third. This was tried with and without the MIDI \score block. If there's a typing error on my part, I sure don't see it.

\version "2.7.6"

upper = \relative c'' {
    \clef "treble"
    \key c \major
    \time 4/4

    a b c e
}

lower = \relative c {
    \clef "bass"
    \key c \major
    \time 4/4

    c2 a
}

dynamics = {
    s2\fff\> s4
    s\pp\!
}

pedal = {
    s2\sustainDown s2\sustainUp
}

\score {
    \context PianoStaff <<
        \context Staff = upper \upper
        \context Staff = dynamics \dynamics
        \context Staff = lower \lower
        \context Dynamics = pedal \pedal

    \layout {
        \context {
            \type "Engraver_group"
            \name Dynamics
            \alias Voice
            \consists "Output_property_engraver"

            minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-1 . 1)
            pedalSustainStrings = #'("Ped." "*Ped." "*")
            pedalUnaCordaStrings = #'("una corda" "" "tre corde")

            \consists "Piano_pedal_engraver"
            \consists "Script_engraver"
            \consists "Dynamic_engraver"
            \consists "Text_engraver"

            \override TextScript #'font-size = #2
            \override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
            \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
            \override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

            \consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"
            \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
        }

        \context {
            \PianoStaff
            \accepts Dynamics
            \override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #3)

learn from Crunchy
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #2, by Brian Lauber)