Re: More Centred Dynamics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: More Centred Dynamics
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:49:16 +0200

Will Oram wrote:
(Sorry if this gets reposted; I seem to be having a nasty habit lately of sending lilypond e-mails from my nonregistered e-mail address!)

I tried Mats' template for centred piano dynamics but found it to be off-balance. Maybe I will try later with greater tweaking.

What do you mean by off-balance? When preparing the example, I certainly
didn't spend much time fine-tuning the parameters to get the dynamics
exactly centered, just wanted to show the idea.

> Also, do  the
dynamics in this template apply themselves to MIDI, or is it functional only in layout?

In the MIDI output, the dynamics will only affect the music in the
same Voice context by default. This means that if you have

\score {
   \context PianoStaff <<
     \context Staff=righthand <<
       \new Voice \righthand_upper
       \new Voice {\righthand_lower \dynamics}

     \context Staff=lefthand <<
       \clef bass
       \new Voice \lefthand

then the dynamics will only apply to the \righthand_lower voice.
One solution is to make a separate \score{...} for the MIDI output.

   /Mats