unmetered music question

From: Thomas Ruedas
Subject: unmetered music question
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:34:11 +0200

Hi,
I am trying to set a piece where no meter is given, but don't quite
succeed. What I have done is to omit the \time x/y command, but lily
insists on having a 4/4 meter. Furthermore, I tried to follow the
instruction from doc sect. 5.3.7 "Unmetered music" by setting
  \score {
    <<
     \set Score.timing = ##f
     \context Voice = fl { \FluteOne }
     \context PianoStaff <<
         \context Staff = upper \UpperOne
         \context Staff = lower \LowerOne

}
and inserting bars by hand in the text for visual division of the music,
but lily sets the bars for her 4/4 an addition to those.
Is it possible to set unmetered music the way I want with v.2.4.6, and how
do I do it?
Thanks,
Thomas