Re: How can I avoid unicode and use Latin1? (Was: Wrong characters with

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: How can I avoid unicode and use Latin1? (Was: Wrong characters with jEdit)
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:47:14 +0200

What you have found in the source code files are some left-overs
from version 2.4 and earlier, where LilyPond only knew about Latin1.
If you browse through the mailing list archives, you can also find
out why this was not a satisfactory solution if you want to promote
the program outside western Europe.

If you find this added flexibility in LilyPond 2.6 so annoying, then
you could use some program that converts a Latin1 coded file into
UTF-8 coding and even make a script file that first does the
conversion and then calls LilyPond. Unfortunately, I don't know
Windows well enough to provide any specific hints but there should
be several possibilities available.

   /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
I have used Latin1 character encoding for the last 15 years for handling
text in English, French, Spanish, and German.  My (Unix) e-mail
client uses Latin1 (ISO-8859-1).  I use a Latin1 text editor for LilyPond
and thus avoid the cursed false-single-quote problem, and I do not want to
incur the hazards of unicode character-encoding.

If LilyPond can't give me Latin1 characters (é à ç ö etc.) then I will
handwrite them in on the printout, but it would be look cleaner if
LilyPond could handle Latin1 text characters, as is the case with every
other piece of software I use.

I'm running LilyPond 2.6.0 under Windows.

The file ...\usr\share\lilypond\2.6.0\ly\paper-defaults.ly
sanctions Latin1 in the statement
inputencoding = #"latin1"
and later under
#(define text-font defaults...   ...)

The file ...\usr\share\lilypond\2.6.0\scm\encoding.scm,
in the long definition
(define-public  latin1-coding-vector...   ...),
laboriously lists all 256 Latin1 characters, with  .notdef  for the
control characters and with a full list of the Western European
accented characters (agrave, aacute, acircumflex, etc.).

The clear implication is that the coding for LilyPond to recognize
Latin1 characters is there.  But something somewhere is blocking
their recognition (à, é, etc. in markup are just ignored).

What can I change in which file to get LilyPond to accept Latin1
characters?

Or what trick, however laborious, will enable me to use Latin1 characters
in markup?  I only need them occasionally in titles.

There is considerable coding to enable Latin1 in the .ly and .scm files in
the LilyPond distribution; how can this coding be made to actually
function?

Thank you for your help.

-- Tom